Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Quote of the Day from Martin Amis

Okay, it has nothing to do with politics, but of all the sentences that I read this morning this is the sentence (and a half) that popped out at me in my internet skimming and grazing.
"Keith was now well launched on the bullet train of the fifties where the minutes often dragged but the years tumbled over one another and disappeared. And the mirror was trying to tell him something."
--Martin Amis, The Pregnant Widow
(as quoted in The Guardian)
Maybe it has to do with the fact that I boarded that bullet train myself a few years ago, but I think it has more to do with the fact that Martin Amis has written some of the most perfect sentences in the English language in the last thirty years and I look forward to every one that comes from his pen, even at times when his political opinions may not be in line with mine.
The mystery is when I am going to get a chance to read this book. The Guardian article this morning says "next month", but Amazon.co.uk has no price listed for the book yet and has two listings, one with a pub date of September 2008 and one with a pub date of February 4, 2010. The Amazon.com(.usa) site lists a pub date of May 11 and doesn't even have a cover image posted (I'm sure that it won't be the UK image you see to the left). I guess I'll be adding to my personal carbon footprint by having this book shipped across the Atlantic Ocean in February.

No comments: