Tuesday, August 23, 2005

That's real "Christian" of you Pat. I think political assassination is exactly the tool that Jesus would have used in this situation.

"Televangelist Calls for Venezuelan President's Assassination"
- New York Times, 23 Aug 05:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested on-air that American operatives assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to stop his country from becoming ''a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism.''

''We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability,'' Robertson said Monday on the Christian Broadcast Network's ''The 700 Club.''

Is there anything clever that can be added to this other than "Fuck You Pat, You Make Me Ashamed To Have Been Raised A Christian And An American"? Fuck You Very Much!


Transcript & Video available here at MediaMatters.org.

5 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

Nice! Good Christian values in espousing the death of someone. This guy is officially insane! And the sad part of this whole thing... a bunch of Americans agree with him.

DBK said...

WWJW?

Who Would Jesus Whack?

As Jesus said to the multitudes,

"And blessed be he who pops a cap in the ass of some mofo who won't sell his country's oil to us."

True Blue Liberal said...

Thanks for chiming in Francesca, VG, & GDF, The more I think about this, the more appalled I am by it. Can you imagine this type of incitement to murder coming from anywhere but the religious Right? His network is his network, so "they" won't fire him, but is there a way to start putting pressure on cable companies and satellite services to drop his network? (I'm already drafting a complaint letter in my head.) If an Islamic commentator on Al Jazeera were calling for GWB's assassination, wouldn't there be pressure on Dish Network to stop carrying them in the US?

True Blue Liberal said...

I had no idea that Pat Robertson's 700 Club is actually being carried on an ABC (i.e., Disney) station called "ABC Family". This is a group that will bow to pressure, so I just left this message on their comment page: I was appalled to hear that the murderous comments of Pat Robertson on the 700 Club were broadcast on your ABC-affiliated station.
Contract or no contract, this show MUST be dumped. Pat Robertson lost his right to broadcast when he started issuing terroristic threats against the democratically-elected leader of another nation."

Please complain to someone! ABC, the FCC, Homeland Security ...

DBK said...

Here's the comment I left with ABC Family. Now I am going to contact my satellite TV service and follow this up:

I am a DISH TV user and my service carries ABC Family. I was shocked to find that one of your programs, the 700 Club, was used to call for the assassination of a foreign leader. That is absolutely outrageous. What is more, that is not something I want coming into my home. After I finish this email I am going to contact DISH TV and ask that they discontinue carrying ABC Family.