Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Quotation of the Day About Liberals

Lawrence O'Donnell will be talking about this viral quotation on the Rewrite segment of his MSNBC show, "The Last Word" later tonight:
"What did liberals do that was so offensive to the Republican Party? I’ll tell you what they did. Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. 
"What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things, every one. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, ‘Liberal,’ as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won’t work, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor." 
-Lawrence O’Donnell Jr.
This could have been posted as my mission statement when I started this blog and John Kerry was pissing me off by running away from the liberal label, and handing the White House (and the meaning of the word) back to George Bush and the conservatives.

So I'll do my small part to spread this virus, as it is appearing around Facebook and blogs:
And as O'Donnell's words were delivered from the mouth of Jimmy Smits on The West Wing:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

During the Reconstruction era, Republicans ran on a platform which said "now is the Negro's hour," while the Democrats' platform was "this is a white man's country." This is all not true BTW.... If you care - Read here!!!

http://www.americanthinker.com/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/01/msnbcs_lawrence_odonnell_gets_his_facts_wrong.html

True Blue Liberal said...

Anonymous might want to go back and re-read my post. I don't use the words "Democrat" and "Republican"; I use the words "liberal" and "conservative." Otherwise Anonymous (if that is his/her real name) is correct; the Republicans in the 1860s and 1870s were more liberal and progressive than the Democrats of those years.